Sunday, December 24, 2017

I hate your Christmas Present, So I Melted It

SO and I don't exchange Christmas gifts anymore; we haven't for years.  Let's be honest:  More stuff tends to clutter life, not improve it.
But there was a time when we did exchange gifts.  Gifts would typically be something of moderate value on Christmas Eve, with much smaller things (fruit, candy, small hobby supplies, etc.) in stockings on Christmas morning.
Somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago, one of the items I put in SO's stocking was a cooking spoon.  It was hard plastic and slotted with a figure-8 in it.  At some point a short time after that Christmas morning, I handed that spoon to SO while we were making dinner.  She commented something like, "Not that one, I hate that spoon."  I laughed and reminded her it was a Christmas present, and that has become a long running joke ever since.
"I need a spoon from the utensil drawer."
"Do you want the one you hate?"

I'm trying to remember what I did last year around the end of the year.  I had a few extra days off after I finished deer hunting, and there are always the days off around Christmas and New Years.  Cabin fever usually sets in towards the end of the year.
I keep a running list of all the books I read - it serves as a good reminder so I don't inadvertently get the same book at the library twice.  It also helps when I'm trying to think of a particular book or author to recommend to someone, and the list sometimes helps me remember what I was doing at a certain time by correlating events with what I happened to be reading.  Looking back at late 2016, I wasn't reading very much so that was not helpful.  Although I seem to recall rereading several books around that time.  The spreadsheet I use to keep track of my work vacation time didn't add any perspective either.  Emails from around then are similarly unhelpful.  Sometimes even what I've written here may spark a reminder.  Looking back at the end of 2016 appears like looking into a foggy mirror.

It makes me worried that I wasted a lot of time at the end of last year.

I hate wasting time.  Time is the one commodity that is absolutely fixed.  Once a minute is gone, it is gone forever.  But then again maybe not.  Big mistakes seem to live on in perpetuity.  That sounds too negative - many good events take on a life of their own as well.  But not like the blunders do.

SO made toffee a short time ago on a day she had off of work.  I also noticed three new wooden spoons in the utensil drawer.  Wooden spoons have their place, but they can also absorb stuff while cooking.  The last wooden spoon was thrown away when mice somehow found it and ate a large percentage of it.  The mice in the old house would often make their presence known.  If the new house has mice, I've never noticed any evidence of them except in the garage on rare occasions.
I asked SO about the wooden spoons, only because there were three of them.  A wooden spoon might ber a useful utensil to have around.  But three? "I melted one of the plastic spoons when I made toffee."  This should not have been unexpected.  "I should probably throw the toffee away, I think there is still some plastic in it."
"One of the cheap fat plastic spoons?"  I asked.
"No."
"The one you hate?"
"Yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment