Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pecan Waffles

The predictions about the end of the world being predicted (mis-represented) by the Mayan calendar turned out to be wrong.  We are all surprised.

This time of year can be pretty lonely at work with everyone scrambling to use vacation for the end of the year before it is lost forever.  I'm surprised how many people (jokingly) mentioned the Mayan prediction in the Out-of-Office Autoreplies, "I'll be back if the Mayans were wrong on the end of the world.  So I may not be back.  More than likely I'll be back."  Some of them were quite humorous.  I replied to a couple of them and was surprised about how many people "on vacation" ended up responding back.  At least I am entering 2013 with all vacation that I need to use being happily used up.  I am carrying over 10 days, the limit allowed by the Co.  I'll probably be scrambling at the end of April to use them as I was this year.  But, if I ever go over that hump and lose days, I know I've crossed a line that tells me I am not in a place I want to be.
"Every now and then, you realize, with perfect clarity, that you are just not where you want to be."-Killraven
In reality, I may just be a whiner.  There are lots of people who would consider it an improvement to have the kind of problems I end up having.  That is something all of us need to be reminded of once in a while.

Once again, I've heard coworkers and friend complain about the stress of "the holiday season" that stretches from somewhere near Halloween to somewhere after New Years.  Simple is better, but even simplicity should be taken into moderation.

Lots of things could define 2012, for now I'm going to pick Pecan Waffles.  But, most reflections end up being wrong.  The mirror almost always distorts reality, especially when our face is pressed up against it.  Waffles represent as much of a reality as anything else in that many, many non-work mornings this year started out with them (and sorry for the superlative).


So Christmas is four days away.  The end of the year is 10 days away.  We've almost survived, enjoyed, hated, loathed but hopefully experienced 2012.

May your waffles always be perfectly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment