Friday, April 3, 2015

Exquisite Fats

It is Good Friday.  But then again, any Friday that I don't have to work is a good Friday.  The company I work for is dropping Good Friday (Easter) holiday next year and replacing it with an extra personal day (religious sensitivity and political correctness, I suppose).  I guess this is a good thing since this really isn't often a usable day off for me.  It would be nice if this day was always a splendidly warm and sunny spring day, but that isn't often the case; weather this time of year is quite temperamental.  Today is cool with snotty rain; 2014 was tolerably nice, but the last really good year looks like it was 2010:  dry with a high in the mid-80s.
I believe I got my motorcycle back from the dealership after killing a deer with it on Good Friday, 2001 - which was also a Friday the 13th.  Regardless of the weather, that was a good day.  In some ways, I miss my Harley Davidson days...
It would not surprise me if within a few years the company I work for takes away that additional personal day that a future lack of Good Friday holiday is providing.  The narrative will go as follows:  We lose the Good Friday holiday and get an extra personal day.  At some near-future date, the company does a comparison of the number of personal holidays granted to its serfs and decides the number of personal days is not commensurate with other peer companies - it then takes action to remove that holiday at a future date.  I suppose that sounds a bit negatively bitter, and maybe even conspiracy oriented.

At least the extra day off gives a day this year to have another lazy morning with cornbread pecan waffles.  I added real butter to the batter today, although I'm unsure why I did this.  It made the waffles taste quite rich but won't help me meet any Easter's Resolutions.
I saw an article about avocado oil recently.  I don't remember the source, but it claimed that avocado oil has nearly magical health properties, "even better than olive or coconut oil."  I do not believe this.  There is no elixir of life that will mystically bring around better health, and less weight.  The whole idea that a fat will result in weight loss is quite preposterous, unless it induces vomiting.  Still, I couldn't help but look on Amazon this morning for avocado oil.  Maybe syrup of ipecac is a more honest thing to search, although it appears that ipecac is now more in quackery camp and is no longer available commercially, perhaps one day olive and avocado oil will join it.
The cornbread pecan waffles were followed by hot chocolate since I didn't feel like over-caffeinating with more coffee.  The hot chocolate had a sell-by date of November 19, 2012.  Oh the risks I take!

(belated edit*)
My original plan for Good Friday was to complete a list of things that have needed to be done for some time, but weren't getting done.  Instead, I bought Tim Kreider's book Refuse to Drown.  I don't usually buy books, but as a self-published book through CreateSpace, this book is not available in any Ohio library (apparently, many libraries are apprehensive about holding self-published books).  I started to read it, intending to finish over the three-day weekend, but I could not put it down - it was that good.
I originally found the book after reading a different Tim Kreider's book We Learn Nothing.  It was somewhat flippant, but still thought provoking and I was curious if he had written anything else similar.  It took quite some time to ensure that the two Tim Kreiders were not the same person - the books have as much in common as oranges and Concorde Jets.  Yet, the hook to read the second Tim's book had been set.

Good Friday's morning rain let up for a while but more appears to be imminent, with no way to stop it.  The day looks to be an idle one.  Perhaps that is something to embrace.  In closing on this non sequitur of a Good Friday, I'll quote from Tim Kreider's We Learn Nothing:
Idleness is not just a vacation, an indulgence or a vice; it is as indispensable to the brain as vitamin D is to the body, and deprived of it we suffer a mental affliction as disfiguring as rickets. The space and quiet that idleness provides is a necessary condition for standing back from life and seeing it whole, for making unexpected connections and waiting for the wild summer lightning strikes of inspiration -- it is, paradoxically, necessary to getting any work done.
*I rarely edit these things, even to correct a flaw in the words as I see blogs as a historical record.  Do not photoshop the ex-girlfriend out of the family picture!  As I reread what I had originally wrote, I realized it sounded more mean-spirited than I had intended.  That is not me; at least I hope it is not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment