Saturday, July 8, 2017

Beagle and the Diminutive Peach

"Are those yellow leaves?  Or peaches?" I asked SO as we were getting our food off the grill on a recent evening.  Despite the fact that the food was done, I had to walk over to see.

There, attached to a few branches were some inordinately small peaches.

A few years ago, I planted two cherry trees and a peach tree.  One cherry tree, which I should have immediately returned, had basically no roots and died within a few weeks.  The other died above the graft, while whatever the root stock was has taken off prolifically.  I have no idea what kind of tree or bush it is, but it seems healthy and green enough.
The one peach tree seems to suffer in the summer's heat, but has been doing tolerably well.  Despite a late freeze that seems to happen every spring, this is the first year that the tree has fruit.

The peaches are very small, and it appears that nearly every fruit has been infested with bugs and/or pecked at by birds.  The fruit is not ripe yet, and I strongly suspect that there will be no edible fruit by the time it is ripe.
Perhaps the tree should have access to more green things which consists of one thousand long slimy crocodile tongues boiled up in the skull of a dead witch for twenty days and nights with the eyeballs of a lizard! Add the fingers of a young monkey, the gizzard of a pig, the beak of a green parrot, the juice of a porcupine, and three spoonfuls of sugar. Stew for another week, then let the moon do the rest!  If Auntie Spiker and Auntie Sponge lived in SW Ohio, they'd have little to fight over in my yard.  Perhaps I should write a story about an ugly, middle-aged man's trip down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, ending up living in a diminutive pit in New Orleans. (with apologies to Roald Dahl).

My attempts at growing trees continue to soldier on.  And yet, I'm under no delusions with this.  The very small seedlings are by nature going to have a low success rate.  My larger trees are doing similarly poorly, although I don't quite understand that.  Native trees like Oaks and Buckeyes should be well suited to the area, but they are doing poorly, at best.  Something thinks these trees' leaves are very tasty.

News reports suggest 85% of Georgia's famed peaches will be missing this year due to a very warm winter.
Peaches are the high stakes gambling of the fruit world.  Get a good one, and it is very good.  Average peaches may be tolerable.  And far too many peaches are somehow simultaneously chalky and mealy.

I'm willing to leave the few meager peaches to the bugs and angels.  I hope it will be a fair trade on someday having a small woodlot.

No comments:

Post a Comment