Sunday, January 1, 2017

January 1, 2017

Do we celebrate the end of the old year?  Or the beginning of the new year?

I won't admit what time I fell asleep on New Year's Eve, but will admit it was well before 12:00 AM on January 1, 2017.
This seems a fitting end to a year that was pleasant but unremarkable.  I probably prefer bringing in the new year in a more contemplative manner.

I sort of already wrote an end-of-year post that was just supposed to just be about cornbread pecan waffles.  I did start out the first morning of 2017 with some of them.

Like previous years, I time lapsed my back yard in 2016.  As with the year 2016, it is somewhat unremarkable.  There was some winter and spring snow.  Soybeans were planted in the spring.  There was lots of mowing and some swampage in the summer.  Soybeans were harvested and things started to die in the fall.  Winter came with one snowfall for December.



I've reached a point where I will never try to predict what 2017 will bring, nor will I set any major goals.  I'll spend too much time at work.  I plan on traveling at least enough to keep things interesting.  But I know that at this point, there are more unknowns than knowns.
That may be the magic of throwing away the old calendar - knowing that there is more continuity than novelty.  So celebrations near 11:59:59 on December 31 probably represent neither ends nor beginnings ... but something else altogether.


No comments:

Post a Comment