Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Best Christmas Gift

Christmas Day, 2014.
I got the best gift ever this year:  Nothing.
No, I wasn't bad (maybe I was).
No, I'm not destitute (maybe I could become so).
Nothing is the best gift because I don't need anything.

I guess there are things I might think I want.  But if they were things I realistically could use, I likely would have bought them already.  I might sometimes say I want a Ferrari or 150 acres of perfect prime hunting land, but those come with other significant expenses built in (maintenance, and taxes and insurance).  Those things are also fantasy, and real life is always more interesting than fantasy.
More stuff tends to clutter life, not improve it.

It is actually kind of hard to think back and remember any specific Christmas; It is a bit surprising that I can't think of anything terribly memorable even about Christmas 2013.
I can remember minor events of past Christmases and even sometimes put those pieces together with the actual year.  Mostly this has to do with what else might have been going on around the same time.

The weather this year has been more typical of late December weather.  Cold rain, resulting in ice and mud.  I'm sure snow is coming, but there is no magic in a white Christmas.  Christmas morning came first at around 2:00 AM.  Thankfully, I was able to sleep a few more hours before getting up, reading for a bit and going on a long, if slightly damp dog walk.
Which, is about as good as Christmas gets.

So maybe a dog walk is something, or maybe it is nothing.
But, nothing equals contentment, which might really be the best present.

No comments:

Post a Comment