Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Cards

It is "The Christmas Season."  Given that there is not one Christmas decoration up in the house, it is more appropriate to call it "Christmas Card Season."  I have Christmas Trees up all year round in the back yard.  One is dead and I'm hoping for the Christmas Wind to come by and knock it over so I can get rid of it.  My trees never get to wear lights; they like it that way.

For a bit of an antisocial curmudgeon, I actually like the Christmas cards.  I like writing an annual Christmas letter.  There are rules for these things though.  The letter needs to be short, no more than one page in reasonable font.  Bragging must be minimized but retelling a few interesting events is OK.  I try to mention a few tidbits of the year along with enough self-deprecation so as to avoid making things sound too much better than they really are.  The letter does contain a bit of Facebook Reality though (the ongoing description of events to be better than, or worse than, they are in reality).  A couple years ago I got a Christmas letter from an acquaintance which was the most depressing thing I had ever read (dog died, job lost, kid divorced and pregnant, etc.).  I guess that does demonstrate a refreshing sort of honesty though.

I know many people do not read the Christmas Letter.  Three years ago I included the move and new address information in the letter and since that day I receive less than half of the Christmas Cards that I used to.  I would have thought that by this time the return address labels would have rectified, but perhaps the cards are never even opened, ending up in the dustbin with nary a glance.

I also enjoy getting the letters - much more than I used to.  Some of the letters from relatives can feel a bit abstract.  I come from a very large extended family and the updates from relatives about cousins I vaguely remember now having children I'll never meet almost seems like a Christmas Card from a near stranger.  Last year NPR had a story on sending Christmas Cards to complete strangers.  I had wanted to do that for years, but never had.  Perhaps in addition to being a curmudgeon, I'm also yaller, worried that such an act could bring on a Christmas Ass-Kicking.

The cards that I find the funniest are from the businesses I interact with.  I'm baffled with the motivation behind these as business wouldn't do anything like this if they didn't think it helped the bottom line in some manner.
I suppose my insurance agent does appreciate my business, but in addition to Christmas, I get Thanksgiving, New Years, birthdays, and possibly other cards I don't recall right now.

My vet sends a card.  They probably don't want to be forgotten, although the dogs probably wish the vet wouldn't send reminders.  I guess it was a cute card though.  I appreciate their use of Christmas in place of the more generic "Holidays" or similar.

The most touching greeting came from the credit card company.  I value their warm wishes and the frugality of not using any additional paper for salutation - just a bit of ink.
No doubt, these three businesses do get a phenomenal amount of money from me.  The IRS also has a significant hand in reducing my financial liquidity, but I hope they don't start sending me holiday greetings.

There are only two more post office deliveries before Christmas.
Our warmest holiday wishes...

No comments:

Post a Comment