Saturday, July 14, 2012

Which Camera? Too Many Choices

Choice can be good.  The apocalyptic future of everyone wearing a grey v-neck jump suit isn't for most of us.
Choices can be bad.  There are almost too many options for too many things.  This isn't a big deal when choosing a brand of toothpaste, but for larger purchases it can be annoying.

Getting honest objective help is also a problem.  Most commercial sources will never say, "This product is horrid and should be avoided at all costs unless you want to be screwed."  This is partially because most products out there are reasonably good and have been tested well enough to do what is advertised.  No manufacturer wants to recreate the Apple Newton.
Most consumer sourced advice is a threat.  The complainers will always scream louder than those who are comfortably happy with an individual purchase.  Real world advice from message boards must be read through the lense of allowing some people to complain.  There is also a subset who will insist after a purchase that what they spent so much time researching and so much money purchasing is the end-all product and anybody of differs in thinking is an idiot.
Sorry Consumer Reports, your one-size-fits-all approach to reviewing products is lacking, and I'd take it for free, but refuse to pay for it.

Many years ago, I had significantly more interest in photography.  I bought several student-grade 35mm SLR cameras, lenses and accessories and took reams of pictures.  I loved the overall mechanicalness of the purely manual SLR.  Firearms that shoot film.  In the end, I settled on two Pentax K-1000 bodies, one for color, the other black and white film.  This allowed me to share my lenses between the two.  I also have an old Fujica St-701LED camera.  This was an innovative SLR that used LEDs in the light meter.   However, it required very special lenses.  I keep it as much for nostalgia as anything else since it was my first SLR camera.
I really enjoyed interacting with the small photography shop where I got my prints. I liked the surprise of seeing how a specific shot turned out when it was surprisingly good.  I was only rarely disappointed that no pictures of any specific even turned out.  It did happen though.
In the end however, I bought two digital cameras before a motorcycle trip to Alaska since I just couldn't justify the room that an SLR camera would take with a couple lenses.  A Kodak super-zoom camera made much better sense (and in retrospect, I believe this was a good choice).  The price was right, on clearance at Wally World.  The other mini point and shoot camera broke half way to Alaska.  Fred Meijer sold me a replacement in Fairbanks.
Since then, I've rarely used either Pentax K-1000.  The small photography shop is gone and getting prints of every picture made is not worth the time, effort or money.  For much of what I do, my Kodak is more than adequate.

I've decided it is time to get a new camera however.  This really isn't that big of a purchase, but it is worth spending at least a little time researching.  I like the idea of going with an SLR camera.  However, most of my pictures are taken on vacation and most travel is by motorcycle.  I still have a hard time justifying the room the SLR will take up with spare lenses.  There is a fragility in all the moving parts of the SLR camera.  The newer switchable lense non-SLR cameras are very intriguing.  For the average hobby photographer, I do not think the additional complication of the mirror really has an advantage in the full SLR.  Both of these also have more potential to get dust/dirt/grease on the internals of the camera causing degraded performance or worse.
Since I want more than just a point-n-shoot, that leads me back to super zooms.  These are a good compromise (read trade-off) and some of the newer ones have great features nearing the capabilities of the SLR.
With that as background, here were my options:
Pentax K-01:  This is a a neat option, a switch lense camera that I can use all my existing K-1000 lenses with (some with stop-down metering, but that is not difficult).  However, this is a large camera as necessitated by the focal length of the older 35mm lense.  The form over function advertising on this camera ultimately scared me away.
Sony A37-SLT:  The semi-translucent lense on this SLR camera allows both an eye piece and a decent viewing screen.  This camera also has one of the fastest auto-focus mechanisms by nature of the semi-translucent mirror.  I've opted not to go this route due to the previously mentioned personal limitations that an SLR camera brings.
On to the super-zooms.  There are many similar options to choose from.  Many of the major manufacturers make very good consumer choices here.  Surprisingly, the two that I like the most both come from the same manufacturer, Fuji.
Fuji X-S1:  This is a fixed lense super-zoom that actually has a large CMOS detector as opposed to the tiny ones most manufacturers use (which is also part of the reason the super-zoom idea works).  The negatives with this camera are size and weight as an indirect result of the large sensor.  I still might go this route, but cost is also a factor.  And, although I haven't seen build quality be written of as an issue, I don't like the idea of it bouncing around for weeks in the saddle bag.
Fuji HS30-EXR:  I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to get.  It has a reasonably sized CMOS sensor.  A very good zoom (frankly too long), good optics and enough features to keep it interesting.  It is also relatively well regarded for macro photography, which I find terribly interesting at times.

I've got a short trip coming up with a longer vacation near the end of summer.  On my short trip, I'll bring my ancient but perfectly adequate Kodak camera (alongside my 10-year old GPS).  This will give me a chance to ponder whether I really need a new camera; I probably do not.
In the interim, I have an online shopping cart already filled with camera, UV filter, spare battery and 32GB memory card.  All I have to do is press the check-out button.

No comments:

Post a Comment